Bling Ya Fashion is a fun creative project for young people in Tulse Hill. It’s a six week t-shirt and baseball cap design project.
Supported by the Evening Standard Dispossessed Fund, London Community Foundation, Brockwell Park Community Partners & Brixton Community Base.
The young people are developing an “I Love Tulse Hill” logo, arranging fundraising events and art exhibitions to take place in 2013.
Students will also learn how to display designs they have produced for the public.
Base sewing workshop
The students will learn the following:
• Learning how to apply basic hand stitching techniques
• Blanket stitch
• Samples of various decorative embroidery stitches
and explanation of how they can be used.
• Learning about different types of fabric and how they can be used.
• Sewing Machine: Understanding the sewing machine and learning basic stitching techniques
• Samples of various seams and edgings and what type of garments they can be used for
• Samples of types of zip, ways of setting them in and usage of the different types.
• Learning about commercial patterns and how garments are put together.
We will also consult the students and find out if there are any other sewing techniques they would like to learn.
Understanding community markets
They will also learn about:
• Street merchandising
• T-shirt and baseball cap designing,
• Learning how to apply for funding (entrepreneur confidence workshops)
• Learning how to be resourceful in hard economic times,
• Learning how to fundraise