Important Changes at BCB
We will shortly be reopening the centre and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Due to the on-going Covid-19 situation, we have implemented measures to maintain the safety of all staff, visitors and workshop participants.
We are checking the Gov.uk and Public Health England guidance on a regular basis, therefore the requirements below may be subject to change.
- All workshop/event leaders must complete and forward a risk assessment for the activity in advance (to JaneDR@svp.org.uk). You are welcome to create your own however a link to templates and further information can be found below.
- All visitors will be required to supply their details on the Track and Trace form. Workshop leaders/hirers are responsible for ensuring details are gathered and passed to the SVB Co-ordinator. Details will be kept for 21 days.
- Upon entering the building please wash/sanitise your hands. Sanitiser is provided in the foyer, both halls and by the rear door. Please sanitise your hands when leaving the building.
- We are operating a one-way system in the Centre. Visitors must enter the building using the front door on Talma Road, follow the one-way system in the building and exit via the rear door (onto Probert Road). Hire leaders are responsible for ensuring visitors are let into the building and then closing the front door. Do not leave the door open.
- We can’t currently allow loud music (talking level only), singing and clapping.
- For events/gatherings (including religious gatherings)/receptions a maximum of 30 people, are allowed in the Upper Hall at any one time, all must wear face coverings (excluding those exempted for health reasons).
- For events/gatherings/receptions a maximum of 15 are allowed in the Lower Hall at any one time, all must wear face coverings (excluding those exempted for health reasons)
- For fitness classes/workshops a maximum of 18 are allowed in the Upper Hall. The floor is clearly marked to direct people where to stand to maintain a 2metre distance.
- For fitness classes/workshops a maximum of 9 are allowed in the Lower Hall. The floor is clearly marked to direct people where to stand to maintain a 2metre distance.
- We can’t currently hire the halls out to parties (including kids’ parties) as these events usually involve multiple households coming together. This decision is guided by Gov.uk.
BCB is now St Vincents Brixton
From 2000 until 2020 Brixton Community Base (BCB) was run by the trustees of Brixton St Vincents Community Centre Ltd (BSVCC), with the help of a team of volunteers and community supporters.
In April 2020, on expiry of the lease, the St Vincent de Paul Society (SVP) took on direct management of the centre and have exciting plans to build on the great work created by BCB by developing even more local projects and support services for the community in Brixton. The Centre will now be known as St Vincents Brixton and all hire agreements will be with the SVP.
The SVP recognises and celebrates the vital role BCB plays in Brixton and welcomes the continued support of BCB Trustees Caroline, David, Louise and Rich. The two organisations are planning to work together to build upon the services offered by BCB. Jane will stay on as the Centre Co-Ordinator. The centre is planning to open again shortly and we look forward to welcoming back our supporters, hirers, volunteers and contractors with a diverse programme of events, including Brixton Youth Theatre, Tai Chi and Creative Writing.
Please continue to look to our website for information on upcoming events.